Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Where'd that paper go?

Over a year ago, I wrote a paper called "Curbing the Dangers of High-Frequency Trading" and submitted it to the Economists' Voice.  The final acceptance came through in March of 2012.  The official link is here, and an ungated copy is here.  Here is the problem: I didn't know where to find the published version, or even  that it had been published, until this week.

To what extent this was my fault I am not sure.  I did get a final proof from the publisher, but I don't think I ever got an email with the link above.  I subscribe to the journal's content alerts, which I have received several times during the past year.  However, each one of these content alerts linked to this page, which displays the articles published in March 2012, right around the time my paper was accepted.  In the "Issues" column on the left, three issues for 2012 are listed, one for January and two special themed issues for March.  My paper is listed in the January issue; apparently the journal established a single standard issue for the year, and placed articles within that issue on a rolling basis, as they were received and accepted.  I was not aware of that until this week, when someone at the publisher informed me of this in response to my query of when my paper would be published.  (At some point in 2012, I noticed on the journal's site that the journal is supposed to be published once a year, which led me to think that I had missed the window for that year and would see the paper published in 2013.  By April of this year, I thought perhaps something had gone wrong and started making inquiries.)

I have to wonder whether other potential readers of the journal had the same experience with the content alerts that I did, and missed anything published later than January 2012 in the standard issue.  I was hoping to get some commentary on my article, especially since some of the issues I address have reappeared in the past year (most recently with respect to the Twitter crash).

There were some problems with the B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, which is in the same family of journals as Economists' Voice and is handled by the same publisher, that led to the resignation of the editors (one of whom comments here).  My problems might be more of the same.  And to be perfectly clear, if there is a problem, it is with the publisher, not the editorial board.  Working with the co-editor for my paper was very pleasant and constructive, everything this kind of interaction should be.

I've never been much of a self-promoter, but I would still like it if somebody out there would read and react to the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment